I found this recipe for Apple Curry Turkey Pita on allrecipes.com and had every intention of following the recipe exactly but once I returned defeated from the grocery store with no turkey breasts in hand, I decided to make a few slight changes. First I had to change the turkey to chicken. Second, I forgot to pick up lemon juice so I had to make do with white wine. I also added 2 cloves of garlic and some iceberg lettuce. I had some sour cream that was getting a little old so I mixed the plain yogurt with the sour cream.
I imagine that if I were able to get turkey instead this would have been an even better meal but I thoroughly enjoyed not only eating, but making this simple recipe. The only thing I may attempt to do differently next time will be to cut the chicken (hopefully turkey) into smaller chunks. I had cut the chicken into 1/2 inch cubes which just seemed to be a little too large. Also I think I’ll take the time to make tzatziki (cucumber-yogurt sauce) because while my sour cream-plain yogurt mixture was tasty, I just felt cheated from that little bit of extra flavor.
The following is the original recipe as found posted on allrecipes.com by MOONNOODLE:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 pound cooked turkey, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, or to taste
- 1 medium apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 pita bread rounds
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and lemon juice. Cook until onion is tender. Mix in turkey, season with curry powder and continue cooking until heated through.
- Remove from heat. Stir in apple. Stuff pitas with the mixture. Drizzle with yogurt to serve.